Dentures are a removable replacement for missing teeth and are made of acrylic resin. A complete set of dentures is used to assist people with no remaining teeth, while partial dentures are a solution for people missing several teeth.
Tooth loss can make it difficult to chew food and can also have a negative impact on self-confidence. Additionally, tooth loss can lead to other issues because teeth provide structure and support to the face. Dentures are a durable solution to tooth loss and are designed to look, feel and function like natural teeth.
Partial or full dentures are a solution for tooth loss as a result of:
- Tooth decay
- Periodontal (gum) disease
Several types of denture constructions are available.
- Standard full dentures are the most common type and are recommended for patients missing all of their teeth. In cases where teeth must be removed to accommodate full dentures, immediate or temporary dentures are placed in the mouth during the healing period. The new full denture will be fitted and ready to wear in six to 12 months.
- Traditional partial dentures (removable bridges) replace some missing teeth. Traditional partial dentures are held in place by metal or plastic clasps, which wrap around existing teeth or gums.
- Precision partial dentures are kept in place by interlocking components attached to existing teeth and the denture device. Precision partial dentures have improved function over traditional partial dentures but are more expensive.
- Over-dentures are a form of partial dentures that rest on natural teeth and /or dental implants. When used with dental implants a custom bar is fabricated to support the over-denture (see section on Dental Implants for more information).
- Flexible or soft dentures have a special resin lining that coats the inner most layer between gums and the denture. This buffer allows the dentures to better accommodate chewing, as well as any changes that occur in the shape of your mouth over time.
- Improves ability to chew
- Improves speech
- Improves self-esteem and confidence
- Allows your personality to reach its full potential
- Aesthetically appealing, healthy smile
- Creates a youthful appearance