Teeth whitening is the process by which discoloration and stains are removed from teeth, resulting in a whiter, more luminous smile. Teeth whitening is the most popular procedure in cosmetic dentistry.
Teeth may be cleaned with active ingredients to brighten teeth beyond their natural color. A variety of teeth whitening products and services allow you to select a whitening method that best fits your dental needs, budget and time frame. No teeth whitening procedure provides a permanent solution. Touch-ups are needed to ensure a bright smile.
Teeth naturally darken over time. Bleach-based products with varying levels of hydrogen peroxide may be required to treat different varieties and degrees of teeth darkening. Tooth color is affected by:
- Starting color of teeth
- Translucency and thinness of teeth enamel
- Water supply containing minerals
- Consumption of certain medications, chemicals or foods/beverages
- Wearing down of enamel due to aging
Anyone suffering from teeth darkening who wants to turn their smile into an asset is a candidate for teeth whitening. You should consult your dentist before starting any whitening regimen.
- One hour in-office whitening procedures
- Dentist provided at-home whitening systems
- Over-the-counter whitening systems
- Brightened smile
- Improves self-esteem and confidence
- Results noticeable to others
- Little or no pain or discomfort